As I was trying to name these tacos, I couldn’t help but think of the Red Green Show. Thanks Dad.
This recipe also lead to a few key points of self discovery:
- I love tacos.
- Everything is more fun when it’s small (including taco boats).
- Not everything has to be hard.
- When in doubt, add cheese.
What I mean by that second to last one…. some days, I just want to sit on the couch and watch Netflix. I don’t always want to be in the kitchen for a super long time. This recipe lends itself well to that.
This recipe was the perfect accidental hybrid of my trying to copy this recipe from Starbucks and really disliking the sandwich substitution I had bought. I was beyond disappointed that I didn’t have a way to eat my delicious chicken, until I remembered I had bought the mini taco boats just because they are so fun. This is why they give people samples of these things. The sample had refried beans, cheese and salsa and after a long trip of grocery shopping, it was just the thing I needed. Just like these tacos are what you need if you like spicy.
The only real hands on part is the pesto, and you can do that quickly with a food processor. It’s worth the extra bit of effort because of the freshness and coolness in contrast with the heat of the peppers. And the creamy richness of the cheese.
Feel free to modify anything to your taste, but know that these are spicy.
Confession: There is only one picture because they were just too good.
Spicy Red Green Tacos
Serves 4- Two Mini Tacos per serving
1 lb chicken breast
1 can La Costena Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, pureed
4 cloves of garlic
For the Pesto
1 bunch cilantro (about 1 cup)
1 poblano pepper
Juice from one lime
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can Chipotle sauce, medium
4 tbsp shredded white cheddar (or cheese of your choice)
Taco Shells of your choice (I used the Old El Passo Mini Taco Boats)
** Calculated with using all of the Chipotle Sauce– this makes the sodium way higher than it is likely to be, since the chipotle sauce is very hot and you are unlikely to use it all.
- Set chicken, 1/2 cup of water, 4 minced cloves of garlic and purreed Chipotle peppers in slow-cooker. Set to desired amount of time. (I prefer 8 hours on low)
- Shred chicken and mix well with sauce.
- In a food processor, blend together ingredients for pesto and season to taste.
- Add 2 ounces of chicken to each mini boat, draining excess liquid first. Top each taco with 1/2 T shredded cheese, and split pesto equally among tacos. Use chipotle sauce as desired.
Health and joy,