These last few weeks have been a blur- I have either been working hard or full on relaxing, and it’s been good. I also got really good news- I will officially have my own Weight Watchers meeting to lead! I love having the chance to sub, but I think it will be so fulfilling getting to know members and watch them on their journey and to get to see their successes.
Part of being able to relax is spending a bit of my week thinking about food so that I have stuff ready to go for the week. I try to have an option for lunch that I can pack the night before, as well as a dinner I can just heat up. This weekend I decided to make a lasagna that fit a long list of demands: tasty main dish for the boyfriend, lunch for the week ahead AND dinner for the week ahead. I will have one piece of lasagna for lunch, and two for a nice big dinner portion. Last night as my boyfriend went back for his second portion he said it was “really good” and then he even had another when we got back from bowling. A great thing about this recipe (slightly modified from this Weight Watchers recipe) is that there is no boiling of the noodles, and it still comes out nice and tender. The fire roasted flavor is a little different, but it really hits the spot on a cold winter day. Be sure you either have lots of containers ready to go or hungry people- it’s a lot of food.
Healthy Chicken and Pepper Lasagna
24 oz marinara sauce (I used the Classico Fire Roasted and Garlic type)
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, fire-roasted, drained
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cup roasted red peppers, packed in water, cut into thin strips
1/2 cup baby spinach or arugula
10 oz rotisserie chicken breast, pulled apart
1/4 cup liquid egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano or Italian seasoning
9 uncooked lasagna noodles, whole-wheat
Total Calories 176 Calories
Protein 14 g
Carbohydrate 18 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Total Sugars 4 g
Added Sugars 0 g
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small pot, combine marinara sauce and tomatoes, set over low heat and simmer for 10 minutes. You can skip this step if you are in a rush.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, stir to combine. Mix in egg whites, chicken, salt pepper and oregano.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups of sauce in bottom of a 9 x 12 inch glass baking dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce, down the middle of the dish. Spread half of chicken mixture over noodles, top with pepper strips.
- Place three more noodles on top and spread with the rest of the chicken mixture. Add layer of spinach or arugula here if desired. Top with about 1.5 cups of marinara sauce, place remaining 3 noodles on top.
- Spread remaining sauce on top of the noodles and gently press down.
- Cover dish loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until sauce is lightly browned and noodles are tender to a knife. Remove from over and let sit for 5 minutes to firm up. Slice into 16 pieces.
Serve immediately or portion into containers for future meals. I serve this with a salad for dinner.
Health and joy,